Dr. Gideon Koren, MedSchoolForParents.com expert, explains the most important information parents should know about medications their children are taking.
The 10 Commandments of Taking Medication:
- Ensure you know the name of the Drug (some drugs can have similar names, so be careful)
- Why did your child receive the medication?
- What is the route of administration? (Is it oral, a rub?)
- Is the dose given typical or higher than usual?
- How long will it take for the medication to work?
- What are the common side effects of the medication?
- What are serious side effects of the medication?
- What are the alternatives to the medication?
- Mention any of your allergies to the child’s physician.
- Know when there is a change in your child’s drug regime.