Rubella, also known as German Measles, has been almost eliminated worldwide, especially in the developed world. Generally it is a mild disease that goes unnoticed; however, it poses great risk for pregnant women.
General Symptoms (last 1-3 days)
- Red Rash
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Joint pain
Complications for Pregnancy:
- Still birth
- Malformations of the heart and eyes
- Mental retardation
- Permanent brain damage
- A live attenuated vaccine, given in combination with rubella and mumps
- Forms immunity in 97% of people
- A child is given two doses, one at 1 year of age and the other at 15 months.
- Very rare serious adverse events
- Common symptoms from vaccine: rash, swollen lymph nodes and joint pain 1-3 weeks after administration.