You need to be honest your child, in accordance with their developmental age.
All children will want to know:
- Name of illness
- How the illness affects them
- What the outcome of the illness is
- Preschoolers: be simple, you can use medical play dolls to explain illness
- School age children: be a little bit more detailed, reassure the child they did nothing to cause the illness and they can’t catch it, tell them who can take care of them if the parent can’t
- Adolescents: be very detailed, make sure there is a trusted adult they can talk to, and continuously check in with them