.

Change Password

Please Enter New Password below

MedSchool for Parents

Advanced |

 


Home > All Articles > Prevention

The Dangers in Swallowing Magnets in Children

Author: Dr. Julie Brown, MedSchoolForParents.com Expert
More and more strong magnets have appeared in toys, fridges and clasps for jewellery and although they are regulated for children’s objects, they are not as regulated in other products. Many adult products are dangerous for children and children with developmental challenges are especially at risk for swallowing magnets.
 
 
Top Tips from Dr. Julie Brown, medschoolforparents.com Expert, to prevent swallowing of magnets:

 

  1. Do not let your child play with tiny magnets
  2. Make sure magnets cannot fall out of their toys
  3. Do not put magnets on the kitchen fridge
  4. Teach older children not to put magnets in their mouths

 

 
Top Tips if a magnet is swallowed:

 

  1. Every child who swallows a magnet should be assessed with an X-ray
  2. Swallowing one magnet is usually not a problem
  3. More than one magnet is a serious problem as they can erode through tissue

 

 
 
Updated: 03/08/2017
 

Other Articles of Interest

Foreign Body in the Ear
Foreign Body in the Ear

Top techniques for dealing with objects in th ... more»

Foreign Body in the Nose in Children
Foreign Body in the Nose in Children

Top techniques for dealing with objects in th ... more»

Coin Ingestion in Children
Coin Ingestion in Children

Some quick tips for dealing with a child who ... more»

When One Pill Can Kill in Children
When One Pill Can Kill in Children

One pill of a medication can be lethal for ch ... more»

Grasping the Pencil Grasp
Grasping the Pencil Grasp

Technique for Life ... more»

Time Out – Discipline or Punishment?
Time Out – Discipline or Punishment?

Time-out is the coffee break of life ... more»


Become a Member

Access Even More Quality Content