.

Change Password

Please Enter New Password below

MedSchool for Parents

Advanced |

 


Home > All Articles > Prevention

Coin Ingestion in Children

Author: Dr. Julie Brown, MedSchoolForParents.com Expert
It is rare that consuming a coin is life threatening. If child swallows a coin, stay calm and follow the advice from Dr. Julie Brown, medschoolforparents.com Expert:
 

 

  1. Do not attempt to have the child vomit or cough out the coin
  2. Seek further help…

 

                 If your child is coughing, drooling or complaining of throat pain
                 If your child has trouble breathing: call 911
                 If you are calling for help, do not give child anything to eat or drink
                 If you believe your child swallowed a battery or magnet: seek immediate attention.
 
Doctors may use x-rays or a metal detector to find where the coin is and then take further action if needed.
 
 
Updated: 03/08/2017
 

Other Articles of Interest

Foreign Body in the Ear
Foreign Body in the Ear

Top techniques for dealing with objects in th ... more»

Foreign Body in the Nose in Children
Foreign Body in the Nose in Children

Top techniques for dealing with objects in th ... more»

When One Pill Can Kill in Children
When One Pill Can Kill in Children

One pill of a medication can be lethal for ch ... more»

10 commandments of taking medications
10 commandments of taking medications

10 commandments of medications ... more»

Cleaning Agents at Home
Cleaning Agents at Home

Cleaning Agents at Home ... more»

Whiny Kids
Whiny Kids

How to Stop Whining ... more»

Spoonful of Honey
Spoonful of Honey

Spoonful honey a day keeps the doctor awake ... more»

Cough and Cold Syrup in Young Children
Cough and Cold Syrup in Young Children

Risks of cough and cold meds ... more»


Become a Member

Access Even More Quality Content